Contact Us
Simple, accurate health tests for the home and the work place.

Amphetamines

 

What are amphetamines?

Amphetamines are stimulant type drugs, which are commonly known as speed. Other names for amphetamines include; amph, whiz, billy, sulph or uppers.

Amphetamine sulphate is the powder that is most often sold as speed and is man-made in illegal laboratories. By the time the drug is purchased , it’s probably only around 5% pure the other 95% could contain anything from talcum powder to rat poison.

What do amphetamines look like?

Amphetamines come in the form of tablets or an off white/grey powder. Amphetamines are commonly sold as a wrap. A wrap is usually squares of glossy paper or self sealed plastic bags.

How are amphetamines taken?

Amphetamines can be snorted, smoked, swallowed, injected or mixed into a drink. Snorting amphetamines can damage your nose and injecting them is extremely dangerous. Many serious diseases such as H.I.V. are spread by people sharing needles. Remember, if you must inject, always use a clean needle and never share.

What are the immediate effects of taking amphetamines?

Amphetamines are powerful drugs, they ‘speed’ up your whole body, increasing the heart rate, blood pressure and breathing. Amphetamines make the user feel excited, confident and energetic. Some people use amphetamines to suppress their appetite, so they can go for a long time without eating.

If you take amphetamines day after day you won’t be able to sleep or eat, so you’ll soon get exhausted. You may also experience panic and  hallucinations.

What are the long-term effects of taking amphetamines?

There are many health risks from taking this type of drug. While on the drug the user may become tense and anxious and it can leave them feeling depressed, paranoid and tired for days after. Long-term use can cause mental illness and will put a strain on the heart, due to increased blood pressure.

If you have been taking amphetamines for some time and then you stop, you’ll go through a withdrawal period. This means you will suffer from symptoms such as; cramps, fever, sweating, feelings of extreme fatigue, hunger and depression.

What class drug is an amphetamine?

By law, amphetamines are a class B drug but move up to class A if they are prepared for injection.

© Copyright Home Health (UK) Ltd

Website by Web design by MSGD Studio Ltd