What will I receive:
2 x Vaginal pH Test Sticks (5 sticks per pack)
1 x Balance Activ pH Balance Gel (7 tubes)
This is an easy-to-use home test, to be used by women who are experiencing discomfort or excess discharge from their vagina. Although some degree of discharge is normal in all women, it is not normal if the vagina is itchy, painful or if the discharge has an unpleasant smell (Includes 10 tests).
Why do I need this test?
An estimated 9 million visits to GP’s each year are due to vaginal discharge, irritation or discomfort. Many women continue with discomfort hoping the problem will go away. Immediate and effective treatment can be obtained from a local pharmacy or doctor based on the test results.
The test is for women who sense their vaginal discharge is abnormal.
Indications for Use
This product should be used to indicate whether an abnormal vaginal discharge is caused by bacterial, parasitic infections or yeast infection. The EcoCare? Comfort “vianalyse” test determines whether there is a high or a low risk of bacterial or parasitic infections by indicating disordered acidity parameters.
The test can be performed under 3 different circumstances:
- Before any visit to the doctor due to abnormal discharge, to provide first-step information to your doctor.
- Before trying an OTC (Over The Counter) self-treatment, to check whether consulting a doctor is essential.
- Before and after using a prescribed treatment for Candida or Thrush (yeast infection), to be sure that Candida is the only cause for your abnormal discharge.
General early detection of disturbances of the vaginal flora
By measuring the pH value just above the vaginal opening, other disturbances of the vaginal balance can easily be detec?ted. If the woman herself, regularly inspects vaginal acidity using EcoCare? ph-cotton sticks, early stage infection or vaginal milieu imbalances can be identified and specifically treated.
Approximately 20% of all women who consult a gynecologist suffer from a vaginal infection with varying symptoms such as
– increased discharge and/or
– fishy odor.
1. Wash your hands before beginning the test.
2. Take one pH-cotton stick out of the foil.
3. Do not touch the indicator with your fingers and make sure that it does not come into contact with liquids.
4. Hold the pH-cotton stick at the end of the stick between your thumb and index finger. (see Fig. 1)
5. Gently insert the EcoCare? pH-cotton stick 2-3 cm into the vagina, as if you would use a tampon. (see Fig. 2)
6. Gently rotate the pH-cotton swab to ensure that the indi?cator layer comes into contact with the vaginal wall and/or vaginal content
7. The indicator changes colour according to the acidity.
8. Read the result immediately after extracting the pH-cotton stick. Compare the colour of the indicator with the colour scale. (see Fig. 3)
9. Vaginal pH values up to 4.5 are within the normal/healthy range.
It is recommended to perform the test regularly, once or twice a week. Record the test values and the date in the table below to present them to the gynaecologist, if necessary.
If the pH value is not in the normal range on a single test, there is not yet any reason to worry. In this case repeat the test several hours later or the next day. If the ph value is still not in the normal range, you should consult your doctor without delay so that the cause of the elevated pH value can be determined.
The vaginal pH-cotton sticks can only be used to determine the pH value, but not to detect an infection. A normal pH value cannot exclude an infection to 100%. If you should have symptoms despite a normal pH value, please consult your doctor.
The vaginal pH-cotton stick is for one-time use only.
What should I do with my results?
A positive test indicates an elevated vaginal pH level, known to accompany bacterial and parasitic infections. In the case of a positive test result i.e. blue/green staining of the test strip women are advised to consult their doctor for further diagnosis and appropriate treatment.
Showing the Indicator Stick to your Doctor
Due to the cotton content of the pH-cotton swab, a specimen of the vaginal discharge is always taken which can be applied to a glass slide. By means of a microscope the specimen can be investigated for signs of infection, cells and pathogens. With this method the doctor can easily diagnose bacterial vaginosis, trichomoniasis and fungal infection.
Embarrassing Vaginal Odour?
You are not alone?
These are very common problems and are often caused by a change in the balance of the normal bacteria in the vagina. Balance Activ™ Vaginal Gel restores and preserves the natural pH balance in the vagina; immediately neutralising the embarrassing odour; and effectively relieving abnormal discharge and discomfort. Balance Activ™ Vaginal Gel can also be used to maintain the natural pH balance and prevent recurrence of symptoms.
What are the Symptoms?
- Embarrassing vaginal odour (sometimes described as smelling ?fishy’)
- Abnormal discharge (often thin and white-grey in colour)
- Discomfort (normally irritation or soreness in and around the vagina)
What causes the balance of bacteria to change?
The vagina is normally quite acidic (pH 3.8 – 4.5). Certain things can cause the acidity to be reduced (increasing the pH). This makes it hard for the healthy bacteria to survive; and encourages overgrowth of the unwanted bacteria. The main causes in younger women are:
- prolonged menstruation (your period)
- use of IntraUterine Devices (IUD’s; commonly known as the coil)
- frequent douching (washing out unwanted organisms along with the normal harmless bacteria)
- perfumed intimate products
- sex without a condom (semen has a higher pH level than the vagina)
Other causes can include having a new sexual partner; multiple sexual partners; same sex sexual partners; the menopause (during and/or directly after) and hormone imbalances. This bacterial imbalance is not caused by poor hygiene; in fact excessive washing of the vagina may alter the normal balance of bacteria.
How Does Balance Activ Vaginal Gel Work?
Dual action Balance Activ™ Vaginal Gel contains lactic acid; which immediately neutralises the embarrassing odour by restoring the normal pH of the vagina. It also contains glycogen; which provides nutrients for lactic acid bacteria.
With normal pH and nutrients; the protective lactic acid bacteria grow and the natural vaginal balance is restored; effectively relieving abnormal discharge and discomfort and stopping the embarrassing odour returning.
How do I use Balance Activ?
Balance Activ™ Vaginal Gel is easy to use and comes in hygienic single use tubes. To use the product; simply twist off the cap of the tube.
Insert the whole of the neck of the tube into the vagina; and squeeze out the contents. The tube can then be removed and disposed of.
For the rapid; effective relief of embarrassing odour; abnormal discharge and discomfort use 1 tube daily for 7 days.
How do I maintain the pH balance and prevent recurrence?
To maintain the natural pH balance and prevent recurrence of symptoms:
– Use 1-2 tubes a week
To help maintain the pH level during a course of antibiotics:
– Use 1 tube daily at the end of the course for 4-5 days
If you notice a recurrence of symptoms around the time of your period:
– Use 1 tube at the end of your period for 1-2 days
To prevent this from happening try to take the following precautions:
- Avoid excessive washing (or douching) of the vagina: this may alter the normal balance of bacteria and may make the symptoms more likely to develop.
- Try to avoid using perfumed intimate products as use of these has been linked with disrupting the natural vaginal balance.
- Use a condom if you notice that sexual intercourse promotes the symptoms. Semen is quite alkaline and can alter the natural pH of the vagina encouraging the unwanted overgrowth of bacteria.
When should I see my doctor?
You should consult your doctor if:
- your symptoms worsen
- you experience pain
- the discomfort does not cease
- the discharge is blood-stained
- the discharge occurs during the menopause
Balance Activ™ Vaginal Gel is safe to use during pregnancy; however; you should consult your doctor if you have any of the symptoms of a vaginal infection during pregnancy.