10 x Dog Canine Leishmania (LSH) Leishmaniasis Blood Pet Vet Test Kits
- Highly accurate results within 15 minutes
- Can use serum, plasma or whole blood
- Detects Leishmania in dogs
- Time to expiry will be at least 6 months
- Suitable for use by Vets and medical professionals
What is Canine Leishmania?
It is a severe, often fatal, disease in dogs caused by a microscopic parasite called Leishmania infantum.
What are the symptoms of Canine Leishmania?
The most common symptoms are:
- Skin lesions, alopecia and ulcers, especially head and pressure points
- Swollen lymphnodes
- Ocular signs (e.g. conjunctivitis)
- Increased urination and drinking
- Progressive loss of weight with decreased appetite
- Nose bleeds
How do dogs contract the infection?
Dogs get infected by the bite of a tiny blood-sucking insect called a sand fly. It is extremely common in countries surrounding the Mediterranean and in South America. Most recently it has spread across the USA and Canada.
Why do I need this Test?
Whilst there is no specific cure for Leishmaniasis, early diagnosis is important so that your Vet can start treatment before the symptoms worsen.
How do I perform the Test?
It is very simple ? just obtain a blood sample and apply 1 drop of blood to the test cassette and then add 3 drops of the test solution. You will then be able to read the results after 15 minutes. A positive or negative result is indicated by 2 or only 1 line in the test window respectively.
The best time to test is during the shedding phase and/or when the symptoms appear. If tested outside this time period, you may get a false negative result.
What should I do if I get a positive result?
You must see your Vet immediately so that he/she can start treatment ASAP.