Coping with withdrawals
Each time you reduce during a slow detox, or throughout a quick one, there are things that you might be able to do to help you cope with the withdrawal symptoms.
If you can, plan to:
- take it easy for a few days;
- expect to sleep badly (at the end of a detox poor sleep can be a problem for months);
- take time off work – your doctor may give you a sick note or you may want to take some holiday;
- stay somewhere warm with supportive people around you;
- keep things as stress-free as you can;
- get in a stock of food and alcohol-free drinks; and
- take long hot baths.
Alcohol and cannabis will probably not help reduce the withdrawal symptoms.